Monday, February 11, 2013

Famous Question, Legendary Confusion

There's a famous question in the first of today's Psalms: "If the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?" (11:3).  I never read that but that I think of key erosions of governance throughout the world, and in our nation.  It always makes me shake my head and throw up a defeated type of hail Mary prayer for God to intervene somehow above our understanding.

I read that again this morning, began to shake my head at United States Senators and Representatives and Presidents who obviously have no understanding (or what might be worse - they have complete understanding) of the Constitution they swore oaths to defend - and then I STOPPED before I even got my head from left to right with one shake.  My eyes lit up and my eyebrows raised and I heard in my mind "wait a minute, something's wrong here."  What was David thinking when he penned that?

Paul wrote in 1Cor3:11 "no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ."

Now granted, David didn't have that letter at the time, but he did have knowledge of God's eternal nature.  There are other places within the Psalms attributed to him where he wrote that God was everlasting.  In Genesis alone there must be about five references to God making an everlasting covenant - only an everlasting God can make an everlasting covenant.

So some commentators actually point out the fact that David was in a disappointing moment where he may very well have been seeing some erosions that he knew were key to the governmental structure of Israel's theocracy but felt powerless to address.  Others openly ask the same question I asked "what could he have been thinking?"

My point in this, what might be the briefest of my blog posts ever, is that God is eternal, He is the foundation, when what we know as the universe was formless and void - He was there.  His words alone brought all that we know as tangible into being.  The foundation cannot be destroyed by that which He alone created.  That ought to lend important perspective to your views on Creation by the way.

Good stuff can happen to bad people, sure enough.  And bad stuff can happen to good people, 'tis true.  But:
The earth is the LORD's, and all its fullness, the world and those who dwell therein.
Ps 24:1
 So conservative thinkers and patriots who are well versed in what the founding fathers of this country believed and put forth as our governing structure need not fear.  If God was the eternal foundation upon which this country was founded (and we believe that to be true), then that foundation cannot be destroyed.  What that will look like, I don't know.  What will come to pass in attempting to destroy the indestructible, I don't know.

I do know that even momentary victories on the part of the enemy will not stand forever.  They can't.  Not if the foundation was righteous.

I've played with kids and had fun with the PlayDoh toys.  If we see this country as clay in the Father's hand, if we see that He is the eternal Potter  then we have to acknowledge that this clump of PlayDoh can be twisted to look like whatever mangled mess the enemy may want, it can be crammed into the spaghetti strainer tool and squirted out in weakened strings that are easy to divide and manipulate and twisted in with strands of other colors likewise manipulated - but it can't be destroyed by anyone other than the Potter.

The Foundation itself cannot be destroyed.  Look up beloved with fervent expectation, because your redemption draws nigh!

No comments:

Post a Comment